Strengthening CSR management using ISO26000
In fiscal 2011, the total number of FamilyMart stores in Japan and overseas surpassed the 20,000 mark. As globalization proceeds, we plan to adopt the ISO26000 social responsibility guidelines in our management to ensure our development in partnership with a wide range of stakeholders and in harmony with local communities. In fiscal 2011, we adopted an in-house checklist based on the seven core themes in ISO26000, and listed various issues that need attention after a revamp of in-house CSR activities and related monitoring and verification at supervisory units. Looking ahead, we plan to incorporate ISO26000 activities into the medium-term management plan, based on the plan, do, check, act (PDCA) cycle methodology.
- Understand the objects and features of ISO26000
- Identify what needs to be done and to what extent
- Organize ISO26000 workshops for representatives from supervisory units
- Create a localized FamilyMart version of the 271-point checklist
- Create a checklist for FamilyMart based on 271 items in ISO26000
- Categorization of CSR issues for area franchisers
- Categorization of CSR issues in fiscal 2011 Survey targeting companies connected with the convenience-store industry
- Status of CSR measures to date (division into five categories: Completed, Partially completed, Requiring verification, No measures taken yet, Not applicable).
- Group interviews with supervisory units
- Taking account of the mission of each department, select issues that stand in the way of achieving that vision
- Hold discussions with heads of departments involved for each of the seven core themes, and then select issues for action
- Create a policy for grouping issues and development mechanisms to deal with them
- Identification of potential risk at supervisory units
- Ensure principles are fully understood throughout the Group
- Evaluation and continuous improvement
To ensure correct categorization of issues, we are ensuring that they are fully understood throughout the Group and creating a PDCA system to deal with them, based on a priority ranking.
What is ISO26000?
ISO26000 is a new international standard for corporate social responsibility issued on November 1, 2010 through a multi-stakeholder processes covering over 90 countries and territories of the world. It is not a management standard subject to third-party certification, but a set of guidelines comprising seven core themes. In May 2012, it was absorbed into the Japan Industrial Standards (JIS). As a globally expanding company, FamilyMart needs to be aware of social responsibility in terms of the impact of our operations and the need to engage with stakeholders. Our approach to such CSR matters is governed by ISO26000 guidelines.